This is a truly fantastic muffin recipe. I’ve had this recipe for years, though I can’t remember who exactly first wanted muffins from me that prompted me to find it. The recipe is adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction, a blog that has (non-vegan) recipes that I’ve adapted to make vegan. This recipe has also been successful gluten-free.
Once you get these bad boys out of the oven, they will be hard to resist. I’ve made them with blueberries on cold Saturday mornings, smothered with butter, with gooey chocolate chips Sunday evenings when I needed something sweet, with a squeeze of orange juice and some cranberries for a during-the-week pick me up…the possibilities are endless and delicious!
The secret to this recipe is that the muffins bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then you drop the temperature down to 375 and continue baking. I’m telling you, they will be hard to stop eating.
Jumbo Berry Muffins Makes 6 jumbo muffins, 15-16 regular, 30 mini
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs (I use Ener-G)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk (I use vanilla almond milk)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cup berries or whatever else you want to mix in
- Preheat the oven at 425.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and sugar separately in a smaller bowl.
- Mix in milk, oil, and vanilla into eggs and sugar.
- Fold wet into dry.
- Fold in berries. Pour in tins, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes
- Reduce oven to 375 and bake for 25 minutes.
And, of course, the two pop culture references to muffins that ran through my brain during this whole post: