This is the only chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever need. Here’s what I love about it:
- It’s the moistest, fudgiest, and softest chocolate cake you’ll ever eat.
- It only takes one bowl! What is better than that?! Separating wet and dry is the worst.
- This cake is fool-proof. I’ve made it dozens of times, both gluten-full and gluten-free, and it comes out amazing every time.
- It’s vegan by nature! Meaning you don’t have to do any substitutions for eggs or butter, like in other vegan recipes.
- People who have eaten it have told me that this is the best cake they’ve ever had…vegan or not vegan. You need to try this.
Here’s how I found it.
A few years ago, my sister went to the Humane Society of the United States Conference in DC for a few days. She heard amazing people speak and came back with a bunch of free samples, pamphlets, and information. One pamphlet she passed my way had this cake recipe on it.
HSUS created this recipe and I’ve adapted it.
Top it with your favorite frosting (I’ve played around with everything from peanut butter to mocha to super chocolate) and have at it! I promise this cake won’t last long.
Yield: 12 cupcakes, 2 6″ round pans, 1 9″ round pan
- Cake pans
- Earth Balance and flour for pans
- 1 1/4 c. flour (same amount for gluten-free, plus 1 tsp xanthan gum)
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Put all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients together. Then, add the wet ingredients to the large bowl and mix until combined.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.